How do I register as self-employed?

  • Have you started a business?
  • Are you doing business activity for profit rather than just as a hobby?

Then you need to register as self-employed with HMRC.

Register as self-employed

  • Step 1: Go to HMRC’s website and register as a new business. Link here
  • Step 2: Follow the instructions.
  • Step 3: You’re done.

What to check to make sure it all goes smoothly:

  • You receive your Unique Tax Reference (UTR)
  • You’re registered for Self Assessment Online and receive your activation code
  • You’re registered for Class 2 National Insurance

That’s it. Simples.

Welcome to your brave new world. Congratulations!

Comment below or email me if you have any questions.


Links all correct on date of publication.

keep in touch

Join my Cake & Tax community


  1. Thanks for the advice Rosie! I’m considering going self employed and wasn’t sure on the first steps, so this is fantastic.

  2. You’re very welcome, Charlotte. You may also find this helpful:

Speak Your Mind